FAVORITES

Cheap accommodations in Stewart Island

April 1, 2012

Need help finding cheap hotels or hostels in Stewart Island. traveling there with my fiancee in Dec. There for 4 nights and we can afford to spend about $30-$40 per person per night. If there's anything we can get for cheaper then that'd be great too.

Favorite

April 1, 2012

Accommodation

Stewart Island is great for backpackers as it offer more number of backpacker operations compared with the other type of accommodations. The island also has many holiday home options for rent. My list of suggestions includes some of the best cheap accommodations available in Stewart Island. They are all located centrally close to the beach, bush, shops and pubs. Here it goes...

Stewart Island (NW Circuit) (Source: Kevin Saff)

1. Bunkers Backpackers - BBH

Bunkers Backpackers is centrally located close to the beach, pubs and shops. Opened in 2008, it is the newest backpackers offering comfortable stay and cozy lounge with books, DVDs and fireplace. The amenities include WiFi, outdoor barbecue area and sea kayaks for hire. 

Hear it from the traveler:

Had a cosy stay in Bunker's Backpackers for a night prior to 10 days on the North West Circuit. We were met on arrival by Tara who showed us our room and the guest facilities. Great lounge complete with library. Cosy fire, spacious communal dining table. Fantastic outdoor deck. We'll definately be back when we embark on our next tramp.

(Source: Bunkers Backpackers (Stewart Island) - TripAdvisor)

There is no online booking for this hostel. Call them to book rooms. 

Rates: Dorm bed - US$ 23 per night per person, Double or Twin Room - US$ 63 per night per room

Address: 13 Argyle Street, Halfmoon Bay, Stewart Island

Telephone: 03 2191160

2. Stewart Island Backpackers

Another cheap accommodation option in Stewart Island is Stewart Island Backpackers, the largest backpackers in the island. The management of this backpacker has recently changed hands and it is being renovated. The facilities offered are kitchen, lounge area with TV, camping ground, barbecue area, laundry, internet and more. 

This is what the visitor had to say:

We heard good reviews of this place before we even got there. After tramping for several days in the bush, we found plenty of hot water for showers, and laundry facilities good. The area for sitting in was spacious and the kitchen adequate. It was nice to be able to go outdoors to eat at covered picnic tables. Shared toilet facilities did not worry us. The 2 bedrooms our group had were a bit crowded but the clean sheets were a luxury after being out in the bush. We enjoyed our 4 days that we stayed. 

(Source: Stewart Island Backpackers/Shearwater Inn - Stewart Island, New Zealand Reviews)

Call them to book rooms. No online reservation for this hostel.

Rates: Dorm Bed - US$ 25 per night per person; Double or Twin Room - US$ 58 per night per room

Address: Stewart Island, Stewart Island & Rakiura, New Zealand

Telephone: +64 3 219 1114

3. Jo And Andys Bed And Breakfast

Stay at Jo & Andy's Bed & Breakfast for a friendly and homely atmosphere in Stewart Island. This old fashioned home is located close to the attractions and amenities. They have been around for 26 years and offer services like free breakfast, free pick up, free coffee and tea, internet, laundry and more. 

More on the B&B by a guest:

On a lovely island, here is a lovely B&B with genuinely welcoming and friendly hosts. Knowledgeable and interesting, they made our stay a wondeful experience and helped to make it a great holiday. Plus great home-made and healthy breakfast. Highly recommended.

(Source: Jo & Andy's B&B (Stewart Island) - Hotel reviews, photos, rates - TripAdvisor)

No online booking facility for this B&B. Call them for booking.

Rates: Double or Twin Rooms - US$ 33 per night per person

Address: 22 Main Road, Stewart Island

Telephone: +64 (0)3 219 1230

I hope this helps! If you require any other suggestion for your trip like restaurants, attractions, activities and more, do let us know. We are happy to help!

Cheers,

Salchira

1. Map

May 18, 2012

Accommodation

is situated south of New Zealand's South Island, this place is known for its clear clean waters, the lush rainforest, sweeping sands, flora and fauna. This city is also known for wildlife, walking, boating, fishing, diving. So you must visit this place.

1. Stewart Island

This South Sea hotel in Halfmoon Bay has a seafront restaurant and Wi-Fi internet. Ferry's from this place.  Airport is just a 3-minute walk away. The South Sea’s wood-paneled rooms have large windows and high ceilings. Some have balconies sea facing view. Traditional seafood is the speciality of this hotel and the bar serves local beers on its terrace.

south sea hotel (Source: nyaa_birdies_perch)

I stayed there for 4 nights and love it! The staffs are helpful and accommodating. My only complaint was the burned fried eggs I had for breakfast one time. Though I finished the eggs, so nothing that major. My room is small but I paid for a single room so it is ok with me. No view too but I liked it for it is not too below the pub. I specifically requested for it that I be put in a room not directly below from the pub. The bathrooms are clean and the food is just wonderful, especially the sea food chowder is not to be missed.

(Source: South Sea Hotel - Stewart Island)

Hotel Facilities General Restaurant, Bar, Non-Smoking Rooms, Rooms/Facilities for Disabled Guests, Internet Wi-fi is available in public areas and costs NZD 2 per hour.

(Source: South Sea Hotel. Half-moon Bay, New Zealand - MakeMyTrip US)

Address:- South Sea Hotel The Waterfront Stewart Island NEW ZEALAND
Phone no:- +64 3 219 1059
Check-in time:- 14:00 - 20:00
Check-out time:- 07:00 - 10:00
For bookings click here:- 

South Sea Hotel. Half-moon Bay, New Zealand - MakeMyTrip US (Source: South Sea Hotel. Half-moon Bay, New Zealand - MakeMyTrip US)

2. Bay Motel

The Bay Motel has the view of the marvelous Tasman Sea, This hotel is situated on Stewart Island. It features a nearby golf course, a free shuttle service and free private parking on site. This place has all the modern amenities which include a seating area with satellite TV and a kitchen with fridge, microwave, tea/coffee making facilities. Rooms have a private balcony, most with bay views.

Motel (Source: chad davis)

Hotel Facilities:- General Restaurant, Bar, 24-Hour Front Desk, Non-Smoking Rooms, Rooms/Facilities for Disabled Guests, Elevator,Safety Deposit Box, Air Conditioning, Designated Smoking Area, Sun Terrace Activities Sauna, Fitness Center, Golf Course (within 3 km)Games Room, Spa & Wellness Center, Hot Tub, Outdoor Swimming Pool (seasonal), Indoor Swimming Pool (all year) Services Meeting/Banquet Facilities, Business Center, Laundry, Fax/Photocopying, Ticket Service ATM/Cash Machine on site Internet Wi-fi is available in the entire hotel and is free of charge. Guest Parking Free public parking is possible on site (reservation is not needed).

(Source: Bay Motel. Half-moon Bay, New Zealand - MakeMyTrip US)

Address:- Bay Motel PO Box 181 9 Dundee Street, Halfmoon Bay Stewart Island 9846
Phone no:- +64 (3) 2191119
Check-in time:- 14:00 - 18:30
Check-out time:- 07:30 - 10:00
For bookings click here:- 

Bay Motel. Half-moon Bay, New Zealand - MakeMyTrip US (Source: Bay Motel. Half-moon Bay, New Zealand - MakeMyTrip US)

3. Kaka Retreat

Kaka Retreat is situated amongst peaceful native nature, Kaka Retreat offers spacious modern suites with kitchen, flat-screen TV and free Wi-Fi. Free transfers to and from the airport and ferry terminal are available. Kaka Retreat Stewart Island is less than 5 minutes from Stewart Island Airport and only 400 metres from Stewart Island Ferry Terminal. If you go for a 5-minute walk to local restaurants and shops.

All sizes | Single Room | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (Source: All sizes | Single Room at Peaceful Quest Retreats Motel | Flickr - Photo Sharing!)

We loved our stay at Kaka including the gorgeous studio apartment, the verandah and the visiting birdlife. This is a quiet, well run place where nothing is too much trouble for the owners. I would happily return and spend more than our two nights just for the accommodation. We were warm and comfortable with internet and tv provided and good coffee, tea and other provisions available.

(Source: Kaka Retreat Stewart Island (New Zealand) - Inn Reviews - TripAdvisor)

(Source:Kaka Retreat Stewart Island. Half-moon Bay, New Zealand - MakeMyTrip US)

Address:- 2400 N. Ocean Blvd. Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Phone no:- (03) 219 1252
Check-in time:- 14:00 - 18:30
Check-out time:- 07:30 - 10:00
For bookings click here:-

Kaka Retreat Stewart Island. Half-moon Bay, New Zealand - MakeMyTrip US (Source: Kaka Retreat Stewart Island. Half-moon Bay, New Zealand - MakeMyTrip US)

Closing Notes

Stewart Island (Southern Circuit) (Source: Kevin Saff)

I have listed all the famous hotels of this city  This city is really mesmerizing and charming. Hope this helped you, if you need further assistance on food, accommodation and any other places to visit, do let me know.

1. Map

Answered by My life is all about keeping in touch with my personal self. I spend my time painting, cooking, surfing the net and of course travelling. Salchira Mrong Marak

Answered by Hi, This is Archita and I love to travel and would be the best guide and also I like watch travel shows. Archita Choudhury

Related Destinations

Comments