FAVORITES

Gluten-free restaurants and bakeries in San Francisco

July 19, 2011

I am soon leaving for a two-week trip in San Francisco. I'm looking for gluten-free restaurants and bakeries. Any suggestions anyone?

Favorite

July 20, 2011

Bonjour!

I always believed that finding a gluten-free eatery was a rather challenging task. However, after doing my research to answer your question, I have come to believe that these kind of restaurants have begin to gain a lot of popularity in recent years. So, without wasting anymore time, I have listed below five places you can experiment with.   

Food! (Source: Benjie Ordoñez) 

Eat

Of the five eateries, two of them are bakeries with the remaining being restaurants ranging from cheap to expensive.  

1. Crave Bakery (Recommended)

There is indeed lots to crave about at this bakery. Their treats are said to be some of the best gluten-free products that have ever been consumed. At Crave, they serve a variety of cakes, brownies, tarts cupcakes and even cookies which, according to the website, are said to be made with quality dark chocolate, free-range eggs, fresh ground flax seeds and organic brown rice flour. A reviewer had this to say about Crave Bakery: 

Love Crave!! One of my favorite Crave products are the vanilla cupcakes- it's hard to believe the rich, buttery frosting is dairy free and with a couple seconds in the microwave, the cupcakes go from frozen to soft and delicious. Another fantastic item is their chocolate cake, which is hands down one of the best gluten free chocolate cakes I've tried (and I make a pretty good one from scratch). Serve any of these baked goods for dessert and no one would believe they are both gluten and dairy free, much less that they came out of the fridge or freezer section of your local grocery. Although I tend to be one to seek out fresh baked goods vs. frozen, Crave Bakery is one welcomed exception.

(Source: Crave Bakery - Haight-Ashbury - San Francisco, CA) 

Here's an idea of how those Crave Bakery cupcakes are going to tempt you: 

(Source: Carissa Rogers) 

Getting There:

Below are a list of outlets with their respective contact numbers and timings.

(Source: Crave Bakery - San Francisco) 

For more information on products, health information and other FAQ's visit Crave Bakery online.

2. Zadin - Vietnamese Contemporary Cuisine (Recommended)

Not a fan of Vietnamese food? Hold that judgement until you have dined at Zadin. This restaurant doesn't specialize in gluten-free foods, however, they do have a wide range of appetizers and noodle soups, as well as a number of main dishes. The place is moderately priced and is said to have a casual and intimate ambience. Set up by two cousins, it is a mix of timely tradition and a contemporary mash-up of Vietnamese delights.

(Source: Joe Wolf) 

This is an excellent place for an inexpensive, but tasty meal. The pho are wonderful - especially the aromatic broths. The rolls are a bit predictable, but well executed. The main courses - shaken beef, garlic prawns, lemon grass pork, beef grilled with onions, have good, precise flavors - meaning each dish really stands out and is truly different from the next. Staff is nice and polite, though they could all learn to speak a little more loudly, since the place isn't THAT quiet.

(Source: Zadin Reviews - Rated by OpenTable Diners) 

Getting There:

Address- 4039 18th Street, San Francisco, CA 94114

Contact Number- (415) 626-2260

Timings:                                                                                                                                                           Mon 6 pm - 9:30 pm
Tue-Thu 6 pm - 10 pm
Fri-Sat 5:30 pm - 10 pm
Sun 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm

3. Hot Spud (Recommended)

In the mood for a quick bite? Well then, Hot Spud is a great place to lunch as well as dine. It has a fantastic menu and even allows you to make your very own customized spud. In case you are wondering what a spud is, then here is how Hot Spud defines it: "A big baked potato cooked to perfection mixed with butter, cheese and salt - topped with all the fixings you like."  They also have a variety of healty salads and delicious desserts that are said to be irresistible. One happy customer had this to say:

A friend and I played tourists yesterday in the city and ended up in the Fisherman's Wharf area. We decided to check out Hot Spud and it was DEEE-licious! I am a buffalo chicken fanatic so I couldn't resist ordering the Chicken spud and I loved every bite. My friend had the Shrimp spud and loved it too. We topped off lunch with a San Francisco Anchor Steam beer and were completely satisfied. We were full but couldn't resist ordering one of the gluten-free sweet potato brownies so we took it to snack on later as we walked through the city. It was cooked to perfection and so moist and fudgy it melted in our mouths. We are so happy that we stopped at the Hot Spud and will definitely be going back next time we hit the city again!

(Source: Hot Spud - San Francisco, CA) 

Getting There:

Address- 2640 Mason Street, (Between Jefferson & Beach Streets), San Francisco,CA 94133

Contact Number- Tel:(415)399-1065, TollFree:(888) hot-spud

Timings:

Mon-Thu 11 am - 8 pm
Fri-Sun 11 am - 9 pm

4. Saha (Recommended)

Middle eastern food is loved by majority of food lovers, but at Saha's you get a lot more than just plain middle eastern food. This restaurant is a blend of Yemenese and Californian cuisine topped with a French touch. Its something rare but at the same time loved by many. Known for its elegance, this place has received many a positive review for its fine dining.   

"Slap yo Mama" dessert at Saha (Source: Sharon) 

This is a true jewel among restaurants in SF! The Chef is a master of spices. The flavor of every dish was very well balanced but still had a nice exotic touch, very interesting for ones taste buds! The decoration on the ceiling and walls creates a very warm atmosphere. Staff is extremely attentative and friendly, they will explain everything to you, as there may be a few things that one may not be familiar with. Make sure you make a reservation. It is a must while in San Francisco!

(Source: Saha - Citysearch) 

Getting There:

Address- The Carlton Hotel, 1075 Sutter St, San Francisco, CA 94109

Contact Number- (415) 345-9547

Timings: 

Tue-Thu 6 pm - 10 pm
Fri-Sat 6 pm - 11 pm

5. Special Request

In addition to being gluten-free, this dessert house is 100% vegan. Some of their treats include fresh fruit tartlets and the tempting chocolate hazelnut mousse; both are said to be mouth-watering pastries that keep you coming back for more. And the great bit is that it doesn't end up burning a hole in your pocket. This not so old bakery is a great dessert stop and definitely well worth a visit. 

This is coming from a omnivore who loves sweets and desserts! Don't mess with the real thing, right? I had one of Chef Vanessa's desserts and could not believe it was really gluten free and vegan. Her attention to texture, flavors, presentation, and overall quality is incredible. These are outstanding and the best I have ever tried.

(Source: Special Request - San Francisco, CA) 

Getting There:

Address- 3801 Church Street , San Francisco at Lilah Belles

Contact Number- Unavailable

Email addresssr.desserts@yahoo.com

For further information visit Special Request online.

Those were five eateries that serve gluten-free meals, all of them having a 4 star and above rating as far as taste and service go. Well, I hope I have been of help to you. If you need any other kind of travel information regarding flights, accommodation, etc., feel free to write back to us.

Have a safe and pleasant trip!

Regards,

Roseann 

Answered by Football enthusiast, aspiring singer and presenter and a true philosopher at heart. Travel for me is the best form of education because you learn so much more rather than what you learn sitting in a classroom. “Every perfect traveler always creates the country where he travels.” – Nikos Kazantzakis Roseann Guadalupe Murzello

Related Destinations

Comments