FAVORITES

London - the best things to see and do and the best eateries

February 24, 2012

I'm going to London in less than 3 weeks...any suggestions on what to do, see, etc? Traveling 3/9-3/18 w/my boyfriend and his family. Budget on the cheap side...just want to see amazing places & try good food/beer.
I'm based in Scottsdale & Mesa

Favorite

February 24, 2012

Chitwan's answer about things to do in The Rock & Sole Plaice, Trinity Restaurant, Trafalgar Square, Royal Court, PORTOBELLO ROAD MARKET, London Eye, Westminster Abbey and London
Things to See

One of the most influential cities of the old world, London has all markings of its former glory as the seat of the former British Empire. A global city, London is a modern metropolis today, rich with history and old world charm. Housing some of the best attractions and events in the world, London promises to give you a memorable experience. Below I have suggested some of the city's numerous attractions that I think you will really enjoy.

(Source: siddhu2020)

1. Westminster Abbey  (Recommended)

First up on any visit to London should be a visit to the Majestic Westminster Abbey which is undoubtedly one of the foremost attractions of the city. A symbol of British strength, this church has seen generations of British monarchs being coronated and buried within its vicinity. Apart from historic aspect, this church is also one of the finest examples of English Gothic Architecture with special delights like the fan-vaulted Henry VII's Chapel and the shrine of Edward the Confessor. With its intricately carved interiors and majestic exteriors, this place us sure to leave you spellbound by its magnificence.

Tip- Get there early to avoid the late afternoon crowd

Westminster Abbey

(Source: edwin.11)

Here is what an amazed tourist said:

This church is closing is on a thousand years since it was first built on the grounds of an older shrine that was established in the early 7th century. The modern Abbey, officially called the Collegiate Church of St. Peter, was built between 1045 and 1065 by Edward the Confessor. And after the conquest of Britain by William the Conqueror in 1066, the Abbey has been the site of every coronation up to the modern time. Despite its function as a church with daily services, it is also a place where the lines of monarchs and other distinguished people are buried.

(Source: IgoUgo)

Address: Westminster Abbey, 20 Dean's Yard

Phone: +44 (0) 20 7222 5152               

Hours:  Mon, Tue, Thu and Fri 9:30am-4:30pm; Wed 9:30am-7pm; Sat 9:30am-2:30pm

Tickets: Adult £16 ($25)

2. London Eye (Recommended)

Another attraction without which any visit to this great city is incomplete is the famous London Eye from which no one can escape. This world famous Ferris wheel is the highest in the world and is the top tourist attraction in United Kingdom with over 3.5 million estimated tourists visiting it every year. The view from the top of the incredible London Skyline will simply leave you amazed along with providing some adrenalin pumping ride.

London Eye

(Source: mostaque)

A review:

Everytime I come to London (which is about every 2 yrs) I "always" ride the Eye! It is never fails to leave me in awe of the beautiful city of London from up in the air! If I couldn't live in the USA I would live in London!

(Source: Yahoo! Travel)

Address: Jubilee Gardens

Phone: 44 (0) 870 990 8883          

Hours: 10am-9.30pm

Tickets: £18.90 ($25) onwards

To avoid the long queues book online here.

After visiting the regular attractions in London, it’s time to get into the groove of the city. For this, the best place to be at is the Portobello Road market, which is a splendid street market housing some of the best antiques, souvenirs restaurants and local eateries in London. Offering a balanced mix of everything, this market is perfect to experience London through a different lens altogether. Make sure you do not forget to try the local chorizo and bean stew. Up, head under the Westway you can also find a flea market where you will get some amazing clother at great prices!

Portobello Road Market

(Source: The Wolf)

Here is an insight:

The Saturday antiques market is the most popular but there is a street market six days a week. Portobello Road itself is a long, narrow street which stretches over two miles. Portobello Road is lined with well-established shops and is not the average 'High Street' as most are independent stores. There has been a market on this street since around 1870. As well as the antique stalls there are a whole host of arcades, galleries, shops and cafes.

(Source: about.com)

Address- Porobello Road

Hours- 8:30AM-6:30PM

4. Royal Court Theatre

One of the most fun offbeat things to do in London would certainly be a visit to the Royal Court Theatre. Even if  you are not a theatre lover, I would still highly recommend this attraction to you. The theatre has an ensemble cast of fine actors and performers who enact plays on various themes. The ambience coupled with amazing performances of the cast makes a visit to this theatre altogether more worthwhile.

Royal Court Theatre

(Source: Ben Sutherland)

Here is a review you would like:

My wife and I went on Monday 31st October 2011 to see Tamsin Greig in Jumpy. We had the last two available which had restricted view. However this did not reduce our enjoyment of this traditional theatre. If we can get tickets we will go again to see other things.

(Source:TripAdvisor)

Address: Sloane Square

Tel: 44-(0)20-7565-5000

Visiting London and not paying a visit to its majestic Trafalgar Square would be an absolute crime. One of the most well-known squares in the world, this one will beautifully sum up London for you.  It houses the Nelson Column guarded by four lion statues along with some other brilliant sculptors. To experience its true beauty and essence I would recommend that you visit it during the night when its beauty is altogether more magnified.

Trafalgar Square

(Source: ** Maurice **)

A review:

A square in the centre of town, together with the National Gallery and a host of other tourist attractions, makes Trafalgar Square an experience that every tourist to London should consider going to visit. I could feel the vibrant energy as I stepped into this part of town - from the traffic, bustling pedestrians and the rows of cafes that line the different streets makes it a shopper's paradise, ideal people-watching area or a sightseeing experience for the cultural tourist.

(Source: Yahoo! Travel)

Address: Center of the City

Eat

Owing to its cosmopolitan status, this city houses some of the finest restaurants in the world which offer various cuisines and the best delicacies. Keeping your preferences in mind, I have suggested a few for you which will ensure you have a wonderful experience.

1. Trinity Restaurant (Recommended)

Have a taste of the exquisite French cuisine at the Trinity Restaurant which is often rated as the one of the finest French restaurants in the city.  The ambience here is truly incredible and offers a perfect backdrop for a nice lunch with family. The menu is extensive and you can choose from a variety of mouth-watering dishes. In addition to this the service here is impeccable and will make sure you have an experience which you will never forget.

Here is what one guest said:

This restaurant was recommended by a friend and exceeded our expectations in every way. The food and service were both stunning. I would highly recommend the tasting menu with paired wines - though.

(Source: OpenTable)

Address: 4 The Polygon 

Tel: 020 7622 1199     

Average  price: £29 to £40

Hours: Tue to Fri 12:30pm-2:30pm; Sat 12noon-2pm; Sun 12noon-4pm

What about have those characteristic London fish and chips on a nice sunny lunch in London?  Rock and Sole Plaice is the answer to it. This fine restaurant offers some of the best British cuisine there is in the city. The ambience is relaxed and you get in your own wine too. All in all, a perfect place to have a nice relaxed meal with family.

Rock & Sole Plaice

(Source: jay.tong)

A review:

When I used to live in London this was my hands down favourite chippy in the West End. Quality Haddock and Cod, excellent chips. Just a very consistent chippy that's been doing Fish & Chips forever. This is traditional London in a nut shell. Not upscale, not cheap either, but when you need to fill that craving, this is the place.

(Source: London)

Address: 47 Endell Street, Covent Garden

Tel: 020 7836 3785     

Average Price: £10-£20per meal

Hours: Mon to Fri 11:30-23:30, Sat 12:00-22:00, Sun 12:30-23:00

I hope the above listed suggestions help in having a truly memorable vacation in London. If you require any kind of assistance on any other trips feel free to get back to us; we will be glad to help you. What about some suggestions regarding  some of the best tours or nightlife in London?

Have a great time!

Chitwan

Answered by Hi!I believe in service with a smile. What's more, you get a happy ending!!! Cheerio!! Chitwan Deep Singh

Related Destinations

Comments

Search Hotels

SEARCH HOTELS