FAVORITES

Malaysia Transit Visa for Indians

October 11, 2012

Hiii Rimi,

Hope you are doing well. Wanted to ask you something, since i am going via Malaysia can you please tell me if I would need a visa in Malaysia. I am travelling Malaysian Airlines. I read somewhere that since I am onward to NZ with NZ visa I may not need a transit visa in Kuala Lumpur. If you could please tell me.

Thanks a lot.

Haresh

Favorite

October 11, 2012

Salchira's answer
Malaysia Transit Visa for Indians

This is what I found out for Indian citizens transiting through Malaysia.

Indian citizens will get free transit visa in Malaysia provided it meet the following requirements:

• the transit time is not more than 120-hours
  • has a valid forward flight ticket to the destination country
  • has a valid visa to the destination country
  • traveling in and out of Malaysia is with the same airline
  • transit airport in Malaysia is at Kuala Lumpur, Kota Kinabalu, Kuching, Penang and Senai.

Click here for more on visa policy of Malaysia.

Kuala Lumpur Airport (Source: rushdi13)

This is what I found out in Wikipedia about visa requirements for Indian citizens in Malaysia:

5 day transit without visa, provided holder is arriving at KLIA/LCCT airport on Malaysia Airlines/Air Asia, AND has confirmed onward ticket visa to Australia, New Zealand, US, Japan, China, Taiwan or South Korea

(Source: Visa requirements for Indian citizens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

A snippet from an article that appeared in Economic Times on May 25, 2010:

The Malaysian Government has said that from July this year, transit travellers from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh will not need a visa to enter the country. The Star quoted the country's Deputy Prime Minister, Muhyiddin Yassin, as saying that the government, had decided to reinstate from July 1 the 'transit without visa' offer to travellers from the four countries after considering the advantage it would offer in terms of attracting more tourists from the region.

(Source: Malaysia to offer Indian transit travelers visa free entry from July - Economic Times)

This is what the Indian traveler transiting through Malaysia to Japan said 6 months ago:

I use Malaysian airlines all the time to travel between INDIA and JAPAN. In case you plan to stay inside the airport for the 6 hour stopover period, you do not need any VISA (transit or otherwise). You should check-in your luggage all the way to Japan (There is no question of 'if I don't get a thru checkin'. The MH personnel at Indonesia will most likely give you the boarding pass for the second leg (KL-NARITA) also to you. KL airport has enough for you to do for the 6 hours of stopover.

(Source: Malaysia: Transit Visa in KLIA for Indian Passport - Visas in Malaysia)

Based on the above information I gathered from the internet, assuming that you are traveling in and out of Malaysia by Malaysian Airline and since you have a valid visa and air ticket for New Zealand, you will not need a transit visa if your stay at the airport is within 120 hours and meets the other requirements. However, just to be doubly sure, do check with the Malaysian Embassy in India before you embark on your journey.

High Commission of Malaysia in New Delhi

Address: 50-M, Satya Marg, Chanakyapuri, 110 021 - New Delhi

Telephone: 91-11-261 11 291/92/93/97

Fax: 91-11-268 81 538

Email: maldelhi@kln.gov.my

Consulate General of Malaysia in Chennai

Address: 44, Tank Bund Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai - 600 034, India

Telephone: +091-44-28226888/28226889/28226895

Fax: +091-44-28226891

Email: mwmadras@dataone.in

Consulate General of Malaysia in Mumbai

Address: 4-B, 4th Floor, Notan Plaza, Turner Road, Bandra (W), Mumbai 400050, India

Telephone: General - +91-22-2645 5751/2645 5752; Visa Section - +91-22-26455541/42

Fax: +91-22-2645 5750

Email: malmumbai@kln.gov.my

I hope this helps! If you need to stay in Kuala Lumpur during your transit, we could suggest some nice accommodations near the airport. Do get back to us for any other travel assistance that you may require.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers,

Salchira

Answered by My life is all about keeping in touch with my personal self. I spend my time painting, cooking, surfing the net and of course travelling. Salchira Mrong Marak

Related Destinations

Comments

Search Hotels

SEARCH HOTELS