FAVORITES

Things to do and restaurants in Hillsborough,NC

December 25, 2012

I am going to be in North Carolina & Hillsborough around 2013-03-01. I need help with food.
I need suggestions for what all I should see, give me only offbeat & local stuff.
I am traveling with my spouse - 40 years likes walking hates shopping.

Favorite

December 25, 2012

Things to See

Hillsborough, NC offers an assortment of attractions. Since you are much inclined towards the offbeat ones, here I have some interesting and offbeat things to do. Have a look and enjoy your holiday!

Hillsborough Holiday Parade (Source: Visit Hillsborough)

1. Guided Walking Tour

Guided Walking Tour  is organized on Second Saturdays of every month and it takes around 90 minutes to cover the  Historic District of Hillsborough. The tour timings are 10am and 2pm and it cost USD 5 per person. For more details on the tour and the brochures you can visit: 150 East King Street , Alexander Dickson House, Near Post Office, Hillsborough, NC or can call  919-732-7741.

Walking Tour - Hillsborough Town Cemetery (Source: Visit Hillsborough)

Here's a review:

Come to the Alexander Dickson House, 150 E. King St., Hillsborough. Explore Hillsborough's history on a 90-minute guided walking tour through its historic district. $5, More Information at 732-7741

(Source: Guided Walking Tour)

2. Occoneechee Mountain State Natural Area

You can spend an entire day exploring the nature and wild life of the Occoneechee Mountain State Natural Area while hiking in the mountain. The trails are well maintained and a lunch picnic can be done here. If you love to walk on the serene woods, you will surely like to spend some time in the laps of mother nature.

Occoneechee Mountain (Source: Lesley Looper)

Here's a review:

Occoneechee Mountain State Natural Area is small park in Hillsborough that operates as a satellite of Eno River State Park. Although hardly a mountain, at 867 feet above sea level, Occoneechee is the highest point in the Triangle. And hiking the short trails around the park, you may forget that you're in the Piedmont.

(Source: Occoneechee Mountain)

For more details you can visit this page.

3. Taste Carolina Gourmet Food Tours

Taste Carolina Gourmet Food Tours has become a nice offbeat attraction for the tourists who like to check out the local and unforgettable stuff. The owners of the tour believe that to know the local people of any place, eating their traditional food is the best way.  The tour offers visit to the popular restaurants, meeting the owners, chefs, and along with the food tasting, you will get to know the history of the place.

Fried Food Tour 2010 (Source: Stacey Huggins)

Here's a review:

I was roped into this food tour by my parents when they came down for a visit. I had never been to Hillsborough before, but it is a beautiful (and historic) part of town that charmed us completely. We plan on returning to several restaurants featured on the tour. It was the highlight of my parent's visit.

(Source: Taste Carolina Gourmet)

Address: 150 E. King Street, Hillsborough, NC 27278

Telephone: 919-237-2254

For details on events click here!

4. Ayr Mount Historic Site

Ayr Mount Historic Site is a beautiful place to visit in Hillsborough. The deceptively simple yet classical architectural design of the building is amazing and the Kirkland pieces decorated inside the the Ayr Mount are very stylish and attractive.

Ayr Mount. Hillsborough, NC (Source: BuckeyeinTriad)

Here's a snippet:

Ayr Mount, a Federal-style plantation house built in 1815 just outside historic Hillsborough, N.C. was home to William Kirkland and four generations of the Kirkland family for the next 170 years. In 1984, a nephew of the widow of the last direct Kirkland descendant sold the house to Richard H. Jenrette, who has meticulously restored and furnished Ayr Mount with period antiques and decorative arts, including many original Kirkland furnishings.

(Source: Classical American)

Address: 376 St Marys Rd, Hillsborough, NC

5. Orange County Historical Museum

Orange County Historical Museum is an attractive place which has a great historic importance. The main motive of the museum is to enlighten and educate visitors as well as the locals about the history of Hillsborough and Orange County.

Walking Tour - Orange County Historical Museum (Source: Visit Hillsborough)

Here's a snippet:

The Museum was chartered in 1956, and local families donated domestic goods, military relics, costumes, and furniture from their homes, largely from the 18th and 19th centuries, to create the collection. The Museum officially opened on November 10, 1957. The Museum was located in the second floor courtroom of the 1845 courthouse. Displays included the “homespun room” and a colonial kitchen. In 1966, the Museum contracted artist Kenneth Whitsett to paint large murals depicting events of the 18th century in Orange County.

(Source: Orange NC)

Address: 201 N Churton St., Hillsborough, NC 27278

Telephone: 919 732 2201

Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m.-4 p.m.,  Sunday 1 p.m.-4p.m.

Eat

Here I have selected three best restaurants of Hillsborough. Have a look and enjoy treating your taste buds with some amazing food.

Food called 'Krompiruša' (Source: ErminCelikovic)

1. American Hero

American Hero Hillsborough offers an assortment of dishes in the menu. Food served here is fresh, tasty and the prices are reasonable. People come here to enjoy fries, burgers, cheese steaks, meat balls and their special deserts as well as the meals are also quiet popular. It is a kind of casual place where you can relax, enjoy food and your wallet will love it too.

Meat Balls with Orange Sauce (Source: avlxyz)

Here's a review:

I'm fussy about my hamburgers. This is one of the best I've ever had! It even beats Red Robin which costs twice as much. For under $5.00, you get a cheeseburger with any toppings you desire, great fries and a drink. I order take out about twice a month.

(Source: American Hero)

Address: 640 N Churton St, Hillsborough, NC 27278-2103

Telephone: 919-732-1900

2. Saratoga Grill

Saratoga Grill is an amazing restaurant which offers American food, Seafood, Local cuisine and is a special place for tasty as well as affordable food. The welcoming restaurant offers relaxed setting and it is a nice place for friends, family as well as couples.

e

Seafood Paella (Source: Mambo'Dan)

Here's a review:

My wife and I have been eating at and taking guests to Saratoga Grill for years and years. We've probably consistently averaged dining here once every couple of months or so for 10-15 years. The menu doesn't change a lot, but neither does the quality. I'm not sure I could pin down just what the cuisine is, but they do seafood well (my wife's favorite is the almond encrusted salmon), and beef, and salads (I love the strawberry vinaigrette)

(Source: Saratoga Grill)

Address: 108 S Churton St, Hillsborough, NC 27278-2538
Telephone : 919-732-2214

3. Panciuto

Panciuto is  a lovely restaurant with interesting menu and great taste. Food served here is delicious, wine is amazing and the service is great. The specialty of the restaurant is tortelli di fegato in brodo with  mushroom, sage and parmesean. Give it try, you will surely like it.

Small mushroom (Source: loosoonkoon)

Here's a review:

I had almost the same meal as the reviewer before me and I agree, it's wonderful. The atmosphere is such that you can dine, have a conversation without shouting. My only nit pick is that they must have been short of wait staff the night we were there as the plates usually all come to the table at the same time, but didn't that night. And, being that it was a Saturday, the portions were very generous

(Source: Panciuto)

Address: 110 S Churton St, Hillsborough, NC 27278-2538
Telephone: 919-732-6261

Click here, for menu.

Closing Notes

I hope the suggestions provided by me are helpful. For more details on your trip, feel free to ask me. Have a nice holiday.

Cheers!

Shivee

Answered by A twenty something from the land of Gods and a completely travel freak daughter of the Himalayas. A dot com enthusiast and a passionate blogger. Shivee Sirmauri

Related Destinations

Comments