FAVORITES

Things to Do In Roorkee

January 22, 2012

Going for a 5 day trip in Jan to Roorkee. I need suggestions for what all I should see, give me only offbeat & local stuff.
I am traveling alone - 20.

Roorkee  •  India
Favorite

January 23, 2012

Samantha's answer about things to do in Roorkee
Things to See

Known for housing one of the oldest IIT centers in India, Roorkee is a peaceful city in the municipal of Uttaranchal. There are not many things to see in the city. However, I have listed down afew places you could visit while on your trip. Take a look.

IIT Roorkee (Source: pradeepsz/???????????)

1. Solani Aqueduct

)Solani Aqueduct was constructed by the Britishers in 1846 and epitomises the perfect example of engineering marvel in Uttarakhand. It was considered as the most remarkable brick masonry structure. This is constructed on the Solani River and its river bed contains an average diameter of 0.25 millimetres of sand. Moreover, it has the capability of carrying flood flow of 80,000 cusecs. The reason behind its construction was the inspiration from Alcantara Aqueduct in Portugal.

Solani Aqueduct

The courtyard (Source: code_martial) 

Click here for more information

2. Take a walk along The Upper Ganga Canal

The Upper Ganga Canal is the irrigation system that irrigates the Doab region of the city. It lies between the Ganga River and Yamuna River. Apart from this canal being used for irrigation purposes, it is also used for navigation because of the materials it is constructed with.

Take a walk along The Upper Ganga Canal

Ganga Canal House (Source: code_martial)

Here's some basic facts about the canal:

Separate navigation channels with lock gates were provided on this system for boats to negotiate falls. Originally constructed from 1842 to 1854, for an original head discharge of 6000 cusecs, Upper Ganga Canal has since been enlarged gradually for the present head discharge of 10,500 ft³/s (295 m³/s). The system constitutes of main canal of 272 miles and about 4000 miles long distribution channels. The canal system irrigates nearly 9,000 km² of fertile agricultural land in ten districts of Uttar Pradesh and Uttaranchal.

(Source: Roorkee Attractions | Roorkee Place of interest)

Click here for more information

3. Piran Kaliyar Sharif

Piran Kaliyar Sharif, also referred to as Sabir paak is the "Mazaar" of Hazrat Alladdin Ali Ahmed Sabir, a respected Sufi of the 13th century. This place become famous when people declares it had healing powers and healed devotees by its mystical powere. People of all religions come to this shrine from far and wide.

Here's a review:

Piran Kaliyar, also known as Kaliyar Sharif, is the burial place of a Sufi saint named Ali`uddin Ali Ahmad Sabir. It is only a half hours drive from Haridwar, but the Islamic tone makes the feel of the place completely different. The tomb is set in a small village, whose only attraction is the presence of the saint, for whose blessings the faithful still seek, as at the shrine of Hazrat Nizam-ud-din, or Baba Mu'in ud-din Chishti.This picture shows one of the gateways to the shrine (and the cucumber vendor who recognized a good business location)

(Source: kaliyar)

Click here for more information

Closing Notes

That's a about it from me. I hope you find these suggestions helpful. DO write back to us if you require any further assistance for planning your trip. We'd be glad to help.

Until then,

Samantha

Answered by I enjoy reading and watching movies. I also love interacting with new people. Samantha Goodwin

Related Destinations

Comments