FAVORITES

Weekend Getaways for a Road Trip from Indianapolis

April 18, 2012

Ok what's a good spot to travel to this weekend ? Any suggestions. I wanna drive sumplace.I'm based in Indianapolis/NappyApolis

World  •  United States  •  Indiana
Favorite

April 19, 2012

Shaiju's answer about road trip in Detroit and Chicago
Things to See

There are many good weekend getaways in and around Indianapolis that you can consider. I am suggesting couple of places which are not more than 5 hours drive from Indianapolis and have some good fun things to see and do. Here are my recommendations.

Indianapolis Skyline (Source: nichcollins)

1. Chicago

Chicago the home of jazz and blues, the heart of comedy and the idea behind a skyscraper. Being a hub of many entertaining activities, Chicago has always found favor with many people who like to visit time and again. Living in Indianapolis, Chicago can be a nice weekend getaway which is located at a distance of 183 miles that can be covered in 3 hours by car.

Chicago

Adler Planetarium - Chicago (Source: Smart Destinations)

There are many attractions in Chicago that you can checkout viz; Adler Planetarium, the Field Museum of Natural History - that features the the giant Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton, Shedd Aquarium - where you can see several dolphins, whales, sharks and some of the best collection of marine life found in the east of California, Museum of Science and Industry, Lincoln Park Zoo, International Museum of Surgical Science, Chicago History Museum in Lincoln Park, National Museum of Mexican Art in Pilsen, Dusable Museum of African American History in Washington Park, the Polish Museum of America in Wicker Park, and the Museum of Photography in the Loop etc.

Chicago - 1

Tiger at Lincoln Park Zoo (Source: YIM Hafiz)

Some of the other prominent attractions also include Chinatown which is one of the most active chinatowns in the world, Lake Michigan which is the largest freshwater lakes in the entire USA, Oak Street Beach and North Avenue Beach, Magnificent Mile, Millennium Park, Midway Park, Jackson Park etc.

Chicago - 2

Chinatown Chicago (Source: Urban Woodswalker)

There are many activities that you can get involved in like biking, hiking, watching football and basketball, watching plays in any of the theaters spread across the city, checking out some of the best restaurants and nightspots, check out some jazz bars etc. A weekend in Chicago can be termed as a fun weekend for you and your partner.

2. Kentucky

Kentucky the land of beautiful lakes and horse racing is one of the most beautiful places to visit for a weekend trip. Located at a distance of 200 miles from Indianapolis, you can cover the entire distance in 3.5 hours by car.

Kentucky

White Prince - Kentucky Horse Park (Source: Just chaos)

Kentucky has many popular things to see and do viz; Kentucky Horse Park, General Motors Bowling Green Assembly Plant, National Corvette Museum, Lost River Cave & Valley - is a 10,000 year old cave discovered by the native Indians, where you can go for an underground boat and walking tour, Crystal Onyx Cave - which was an Indian burial ground dating back to 680 BC, Mammoth Cave National Park, Schmidt Museum of Coca-Cola Memorabilia, Swope's Cars of Yesteryear Museum etc.

Kentucky - 1

Lost River Caverns - wall 4 (Source: Lehigh Valley, PA)

There are other equally popular attractions such as Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor, Maker's Mark Distillery - where you can go for a 50 min tour, Jim Beam's American Outpost - again a good place to explore the burbon making process, Churchill Downs - which is a historic race track, Kentucky Derby Museum, My Old Kentucky Home State Park etc.

Kentucky - 2

Maker's Mark (Source: Joe Shlabotnik)

There are several state parks and recreation parks in Kentucky where you can stay as well as have some good fun with your partner and friends few of them are Kentucky Dam Village State Resort Park, Lake Barkley State Resort Park, Kenlake State Resort Park, Wickliffe Mounds State Historic Site etc.

Kentucky - 3

Kentucky? (Source: Richard Elzey)

In Kentucky you can indulge in several outdoor activities like hiking, fishing, golf, swimming, camping, boating horse riding etc. Kentucky is one great option you can consider if you want to do many things on your weekend getaway.

3. Detroit

Detroit like Chicago is also the land of modern techno and rock music. There are many visitors to this vibrant city that is known for its vibrant nightlife, music, heritage buildings, monuments and historic landmarks.

Detroit

Detroit - Renaissance Center (Source: Patricia Drury)

Located at a distance of 300 miles it is just 5 hours drive from Indianapolis. There are many things that you can see and do while you are in this magnificent city. The popular landmarks include viz; Renaissance Center - whose central tower is the tallest building in entire Michigan, Fisher Building - which is an historic Art-Deco building, Guardian Building - another great example of a good Art-Deco structure, Campus Martius Park, Hart Plaza - a beautiful park that is located near the river front, Grand Circus Park - famous for its quirky statues and monuments etc.

Detroit - 1

Art with Boarders (Source: farlane)

Apart from the attractions there are many exciting things to do while you are in Detroit viz; visiting the various Casinos where you can have some good time gambling, going for a music/ rock concert , Cruising the Great Lakes in a Ship, checking out some of the best nightclubs in Detroit or simply going to a theater for a show.

Detroit - 2

Aquarama Postcard (Source: Eridony)

There are many good restaurants and cafes where you can have some local as well as continental fare. The nightlife is as vibrant as the city and therefore there are some wonderful places where you can have a great time with your partner or friends. Detroit is a place where you can have a great weekend and let your hair down without any care in the world.

Indianapolis 1988 (Source: House of Hall)

Hope the above information was of help to you.

In case you need any further information pertaining to your trip or you need a detailed itinerary or information about accommodation etc., then please write back to us and we can help you further.

Have a nice day.

Regards

Shaiju.

1. Map

This map should help you locate your destinations. For your ease however, I have listed the distance and the driving details for each city from Indianopolis:

• Chicago - 183 miles from Indianopolis

Route: Take exit 262 for I-90 towards Illinois/Ohio. Merge onto I- 90 Access Rd (Partial toll road). Merge onto I-90 W via the slip road to Chicago (Partial toll road)

• Kentucky - 210 miles from Indianopolis 

Route: From Madison Ave,  follow signs for I-70 E/Columbus Oh./I-65 and merge onto I-70 E.Take exit 80 to merge onto I-65 S towards Louisville,then exit 137 for I-71 E toward Cincinnati/Lexington merging onto I-71 N.Take the exit onto I-64 E  onto I-75 S,continue on exit 95 for KY-627 towards Boonesborough/Winchester till Kentucky 388/Red House Rd.

• Detroit - 285 miles from Indianopolis

Route: follow signs for I-70 E and merge onto I-70 E. Take exit 85B for Keystone Ave onto Binford Blvd.Continue onto I-69 N, taking exit 96A to merge onto I-469 E/US-24 E/US-33 S.Take exit 21 for US-24 E.Continue onto U.S. 24, merging onto US-24 E towards Toledo/Defiance entering Ohio.Merge onto I-475 S/US-23 S  to Dayton. Continue onto US-23 S,merge onto I-75 N entering Michigan.Take exit 49 for Michigan 10 towards Civic-Cobo Center/Southfield.Follow signs for M-10 S to Cadillac Square onto Detroit.

Answered by Author,Screenplay /Story writer and Movie-maker besides being an avid traveler. I M DA BEST person to help U with UR travel plans ;) Shaiju Mathew

Related Destinations

Comments

Get help from travel specialists
Please fill your preferences so that our travel specialists can contact you.

Trip Details
Destinations
Departure Date
No. of days
Additional Requirements

Contact Details
First Name
Last Name
Email ID
Phone Number
Your city of Residence
Submit Request
Mygola promise: We respect your privacy. We will share your request with a maximum of 3 travel specialists. We will not sell your data and we will not spam you.